Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Everything I know, I learned from Wikipedia.

Been another week. I've gotten more used to work, although I think I still don't know enough. I'm behind on some of the tasks I've been given and trying to desperately catch up. But the people there are nice, so it seems reasonable for now, even if that isn't really my passion for life.

Got a new phone. Sony Ericsson w580i. I really like the design and I customized it with one of the cutest themes ever. Orange and black of a little kid flying a kite. Ahh, what a wonderful image. And a little cat too. That's the only new thing I bought with my salary so far. I haven't gotten used to the idea of spending money much. I just can't seem to bring myself to spend anything on unnecessary stuff. Which pretty much includes everything but food right now.

I seem to get less and less sleep these days too. I stay at the office for around 10 hours. And even though there isn't much to do when I get home, I do waste a lot of time reading. And watching some TV. Other than that, it's like I measure my life out in weeks, waiting for the weekend. There's nothing on the horizon that seems meaningful. It used to be in University, I'd measure my life in days until the next due date for an assignment. Now, its as if the smallest measure of time I can easily gauge is a week. Will this change to months as I grow older? Somehow, I have to stop time from slipping away.

Thanesh had given me information about ... information. He's taking a course on Msci about communication and what it means. People high up on the corporate ladder are usually there because they can communicate well. This doesn't mean just oral skills, but the ability to absorb information. It's a skill I have to facilitate.

I know a lot of stuff. The problem is that it is in bits and pieces. My memory has never been that good because I have found that information about specific subjects are becoming easier and easier to come by. The Internet has reduced the cost of accessing information and while we know very little about everything, we know nothing about something. This may be a problem that the new generation of people face. As information becomes more accessible, the retention of information also becomes trivial. Sometimes, I wonder if this is the cause of the education failures in the present. That the children's attitude towards education and information has been twisted by the Internet that they no longer value retention. If this is the case, I can see why they would do poorly in school nowadays. We shouldn't give them tests on Calculus and Data Management, we should give them social and ethical homework. After all, we have calculators that seem to do everything nowadays. That, or ban computer education in classrooms. While the computer is a powerful tool, it becomes a crutch when people are exposed to them at early ages.

I don't know what I'm writing about nowadays. Sometimes I write because I feel that if I don't write, my life would be meaningless. I wrote a small blurb/introduction on an idea I had the other day, but after I showed it to Wen, I realized it was a piece of ego. I wrote it to soothe my own lack of creativity. I need to stop writing shit and start getting coherent ideas together.

Anyways, this is as much as I can write for now. I'm just rambling now. But nothing is happening yet. And nothing will until the weekend usually. This was supposed to be a log for catharsis. Lately, it is all I can do to observer.

Kevin

Till I see you in my dreams, my Valkyrie.

No comments: