Sunday, December 16, 2007

ATI Party

So anyways, went to the AMD party. Woke up at 2, and spent some time looking at stuff online before starting to get ready at 4. The party started at 5, but I didn't want to bother getting there on time. After all, I wasn't bringing anyone and I felt that it would be easy to get there.

It was. And it wasn't.

It is physically a close distance in terms of how to get there. It's Warden and Hwy 7. So I could just go up Don Mills and then cross Hwy 7.

But I didn't count on the snowstorm. So, it means I had to stop a lot and my brakes aren't the best in snow. So therefore, I thought of going to the Hwy 404 and just drive up. Less stopping and less risk that way. So I did that. However, there was still a traffic jam, and no one was going faster than 70 on the highway. It's all good though. I still got there the earliest from my table.

Darren, his date and other table guests arrived later. Thanesh didn't come in until much much later. The food wasn't bad, but it was not the greatest. I can definitely say that I could have gotten much better food for less than half the price. The decor was nice, but it was the traditional office Christmas party theme. Same schedule, so very ordinary.

Thanesh's guest was Grace. Grace and Thanesh was actually in my year at Waterloo for Comp Eng. But I actually never met her before today. I met Thanesh for the first time right before I started at AMD. It was like that for off-stream people I guess. Grace works at TD in a developer role, and I thought that was interesting because it was a field that I would have wanted to work in. Seems a lot more 'relaxed' than the high strung technology companies where the latest and greatest are the things that generate profits.

So I talked to them quite a bit, since Darren and the other people disappeared quite often and I didn't get a rapport with some of the other dinner guests. Mainly because they looked like middle-aged ladies. My estimate would be 27+ (29?32?) office ladies sort. Nothing to say to these people. But I did get rapport with one of the other guests. Very interesting, in that we had similar interests, even if our backgrounds differ quite a bit. She was certainly cute, although I would say in a different way than most. Probably the fact that the first time I saw her, her facial structure resembled a doll then anything else. Seemed quite delicate actually. But interesting. Talked quite a bit, but as I don't have much experience deciphering reactions, I can't tell if she's only being polite or actually interested. At one point, I guess we were leaning in or something, she looked so kissable. I chalked this up to natural male reaction. Another infatuation? I don't know. She seems...like someone I would really like to get to know better. It's almost if she's my mirror image. The same natural curiosity, but reversed. If you know my interests, it is like coming at a solution from the totally opposite angle, but a still valid solution.

But like any other analysis, I hate myself for it, but I see quite a few problems. First of all, our different cultural backgrounds. I'm more of a mongrel than anything else, picking up pieces of culture and norms from a variety of sources, from HK to Canada to Western culture to things I read. And my principles and morals are strong in my opinion. Which is strange, because usually people with that kind of high-handedness usually have some kind of religious belief, which I am quite against. Her, on the other hand, seemed to have grew up in Taiwan, and moved here only for HS. Ha, I don't even know how old she is. I think she's actually a little older than me I think. It's so hard to say, sometimes. Language is definitely a problem, even if we both can passingly communicate in English. Two big problems, no real solutions besides learning Chinese I guess. Sigh.

Well, also the whole inferiority complex I have. I know I don't have the best body or the best physical attributes. I think I'm passable, even if I'm not 'hot'. Whereas, she seemed almost like a princess. Delicate. Oh well, enough sulking. We'll see what happens. Most likely nothing, and could be a whole illusion from the alcohol, even though that's completely untrue (mainly because I know my exact mindset this evening). I just have to make sure there's 'opportunities' and I don't put her on a pedestal. (I agree with Matt, this is a common problem amongst guys). Time is something we all have. Just have to find the best use of it.


Anyways, I guess I should go sleep. That's enough revelations and unburdening. This has definitely been a good night. Until I see you in my dreams, my Valkyrie.

3 comments:

Carter said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEV'S GOT A JUMP-OFF!

Bow chicka wah wahhhhhh!!!

LOL took the good first step: don't pedestalize her! Then it's all over :P Hey man, and stop looking at all the down-sides; start counting your strikes and it's over anyway :P

Look at the brigt side, boyo!

P.S. 32 is not middle age! LOL

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

GO FOR IT...WHAT have you got to lose? (your good looks and charms?)
*chortles*
*chokes*