Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Kanata. New. Fun?

Well, I've been here for a while. 4 days or so. Nothing new. Nothing spectacular. Just work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. It's kinda boring, especially since I don't know anyone here. I'd probably explore the city a bit on the weekends. But on weekdays, it is kinda boring.

The people here are nice, but I've yet to meet anyone really. My "collegues" are all older than me by 20 years. They're interesting, but I can't relate to them easily. Oh well. This weekend, I'll go out towards down town and see what's there. Maybe hit some of the musuems.

Kanata/Ottawa's traffic system is great. It is prompt, friendly and willing to bend the rules to attract more riders. It doesn't need a subway because there are unique bus-only highways that take place of trains. However, I do have one misgiving about it. It is freaking inefficient in bureaucratic matters. It took me 2 hours to get an Photo ID pass for their student monthly bus card. 2 HOURS. By the time I got back, my landlord Geordie and my roommate Michal, thought I got lost. I got home around 9. Meh.

Work...is work. Nothing special. Still reading documents. Systems is kind of interesting, seeing where things fit together. What I don't like is that I have no real work yet.

I guess I may just be bored and lonely. There's no one here that I know that I would go adventuring with, with the definition of adventure being to journey forth to the unknown depths of downtown ottawa.

Anyways. I leave you all with a dream I just had in the past 3 hours. I came home, then just fell down and slept.
==================================================================
girl told me her life story.

"It's never been me and family. You see, my dad was a researcher for the US military. Since he was an employee, he was entitled to benefits. My mother was the wife of a researcher. She had the same benefits. Me, I was a civilian and they didn't concern themsevles with me.

The first few years were tough. My mother worked two jobs in order to support us. Then one day, our dad came home and flashed mom his bank account. He smiled a bit more, then collapsed onto the couch.

After that, we noticed him growing bigger and fatter. After his rise in the US military research group, he went on trips more often. He ate at fancy luxury hotels with fatty foods while we stayed at our large mansion in new hampshire.

But after a while, he came back. Spent more time with us. My mother was pregnant again. This time with my sister. My dad promised to slim down. My mom got visibly bigger. She was in her last term of pregnancy and Christmas was drawing near. My dad had visibly slimmed down. However, on chirstmas eve, he was holding mom while mom was holding the baby. I was watching it all, when all of a sudden, his face changed. He started blabbering about how he had a mistress somewhere and that they had a daughter. After 2 minutes of babbling, he collapsed onto the easy chair. Afterwards, he wouldn't recognize us, even though he asked for us. For him, time had stopped back then when we were still poor.

Mom had the baby, but after the baby, she didn't know what to do. We had enough money. But mom slowly couldn't accept Dad forgetting about her. Dad on the other hand was oblivious. Now you see me, trying to go to school to pretend like everything is still normal. Well it isn't."

She turns around and walks away.
================================================================
Interesting? Weird. I guess weird would be the best word. Anyways. A good night to all and to all a good night.

No comments: