Thursday, March 02, 2006

Okay...Can't sleep. I'm screwed.

I have no clue why, I get frequent bouts of insomnia whenever something I want to go smoothly occurs the next day. Then I lack sleep and usually screw some part of it up. Tomorrow is my midterm, so I guess that counts for 1 bout of insomnia. Go screwed up brain! Eating frosted flakes right now.

Anyways, Ammon, Darren and I were discussing whether compressing the curriculum of high school from 5 years to 4 years was of benefit. This came from the observations we have made on the people entering university for the Engineering programs. They are retarded (in our opinion. Granted, all you young'uns seem so stupid to us). Well, com'on, 50% of the people failing software eng? The fact that we can do a simple search on google and find the paper you 'wrote' yourself? What followed was basically two hours of BS from eight thirty all the way to ten thirty that would do con men proud. The gist of this was this:

Ammon argues that cutting five years to four years was the bad way to go.
Darren argues that cutting five years to four years makes no major difference and therefore the money could be used elsewhere better.
I argue that it doesn't really matter. It doesn't make any major difference and the reason that the children (that's write, you young'uns are all children) are stupid is because of the cultural changes of technology and the reliance they have on instantaneous gratification of information especially from the Internet.

In the end, we concluded that Ammon didn't really think that the new curriculum was bad. He just felt that it could be better by changing the old five year curriculum rather than compressing it as well. Because the only two options were cutting it or leaving the curriculum as is, he was defending a position that did not exist.

Anyways...that was boring to most people that don't care. So let us go on to another topic.

Lan suggested that I care about this blog too much. It may be true. I kind of like to write stuff if I don't have to follow up and edit it afterwards. Since this is a rant, I don't think I would edit it. Thus it is immensely enjoyable. As for my novel, it is still going nowhere. I haven't worked on it for 2 years and I still only have 7 pages. I should work on it, but... sigh...laziness prevails.

Oh right, I slept a lot today. I slept from 1:30 to 4:30 as an afternoon nap for no reason (considering I had 8 hours of sleep). What followed was a dream that involved Vicky, Darren, Britney, the TTC (or some type of subway), Squid, cooking, fighting, and taking the wrong train. Weird dream. There was some famous cook that was supposed to teach me, but he ended up teaching Britney how to cook instead. Weird.

Damn, these frosted flakes doesn't seem frosted. =/ No sugar. Guess I'll do a bit more 380 (I don't know why since I already did all the homework. Practice I guess?) It doesn't say 50% less sugar damn it. I want sweeter corn flakes!

Oh right, Lan's blog (which has been inactive for several months, but she updated recently!) is now linked!

Hmm...more rambly goodness.

Now, Ammon's argument was basically this. By having 5 years of high school, one would be free to take extra courses to decide what we would want to do in life better than if one only have four years of cramming. I doubt it. Most people are lazy by nature and for the majority of students, it would be a waste. And besides, a few more courses won't hurt, but it won't help greatly to help people decide what they want to do in life. University courses are also vastly different from the ones in high school. Accountancy for one, is much different in the university and the work force, then the courses taught in high school. And those people that would make use of that extra year of high school are the people that would probably have taken all those courses in high school in four years. He thinks that taking humanities courses would help people be more well-rounded and learn to at least present an argument. Maybe, but I'm a skeptic about that. I really think that the kids nowadays are spoiled as the result of the internet. They rely on instantaneous information and believe for the most part that information that is not readily accessible is not worthwhile. I know many 'kids' (a year or two younger then I am, but still!) that look to wikipedia as their only source of information (and slashdot, but I'm an old geezer and don't read slashdot). And why is it that only kids from the 2009/2010 class have facebook accounts? Are we, the old generation (old is relative I feel, and I feel old), that out of the loop? I guess even a few years now changes the attitude that was have with technology.

I don't know. But seriously...50% failure rate? And you got into Waterloo? To think that 4 years ago I was scared of not getting in. Now...I'm kind of ashamed. Kids, you guys better get your act together or I'll have to wave my cane at you. Metaphorically of course. I don't have money for a cane. I'm a poor university student.

Corn flakes done! Back to studying.

2 comments:

Edmlee said...

Dude... how did exams go? How's life man? gimme a shout sometime, and lemme link u up next time i update my blog too...

Cheers, ur ATI bud.

Jason Yu said...

I have that insomnia problem all the time. I think many people have it. When you have something important the next day, your mind can't seem to rest I guess...

How did your midterms go?