Friday, February 17, 2006

Snow Day!

Something interesting happned today!

Well, now that my homage to Lan's story is done...something did happen today! A snow day was called and my midterm was pushed back to March 2nd. But meh, it was an easy course and now the midterm is going to cover a lot more stuff, making it harder. This is probably not good.

Had an interesting discussion with Allen today. About what? Girls, of course. Well, actually, girls wasn't the main topic, but rather, the subject of the topic. The topic was, why is it so much harder to develop a relationship in university than high school. The reasons developed, in no particular order, are listed below:

1) Supply and Demand Curve (oversupply of males, overdemand of females--in Waterloo anyways)
2) Expectation of University guys by girls is higher (which I find kind of strange. I mean granted, we should have grown up, but how many people actually grow in a sheltered place like an university. You have to force people to work for a living in the real world before they usually grow up).
3) Expectation of University girls by guys is higher (which is pretty much guys can see how big the range is in female forms. This also goes for males, but males place more emphasis on form than females apparently. Hey, to me, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Don't shoot the messenger!)
3) Smaller exposure to people (in high school, it was pretty much the same groups of people for four years. In university, expand that by a thousand times).
4) Frequency of Meeting (in high school, you'd see them at least once, even if it is just at lunch time if you have different classes.
5) Multitasking of time (linked to 4. In high school, you were forced to go there for several hours each day. It was using time wisely if you use that time to further your relationship. In university though, you are not forced to do anything and instead, you have to make the choice to spend free time for someone else.)
6) Expectation of the relationship (in high school, a relationship usually is a time of experimentation. Not many people think where the relationship will go. In university though, the relationship is strained by expectations that it will go somewhere. Sometimes though, it goes nowhere).

I wonder if that's all. There may be more, but that's the extent of all I can think of.

Studying is always a pain. Facebook, webcomics, games, this blog = time sinks/distractions. How come there aren't that many people on facebook? I think its because not many people know about it.

Heh. I was reading over the stories on Imprint (Waterloo's student newspaper) and there was a section on "true love stories" in their Valentine's edition. What strikes me about these stories is that the primary mode of meeting in 2 of the 3 stories, the Internet was the initial meeting place (one was on facebook, the other one was in a MMORPG game, WoW I think), and that they were both submitted by girls. It kind of strikes me as strange, and the MMORPG one seem surreal and unbelievable. If I do take it at face value though, it kind of makes me think how our lives revolve more and more around the Internet. According to this study, 87% of the Canadian Post-Secondary education scene indulges in cyber sex. Now, this study is obviously biased(only 2684 students in a voluntary study. The type of people that answers these surveys probably have sex regularly). Of course, if I again take it at face value, it makes me wonder just how much is too much?

But then I read more blogs and realize just how dedicated to the Internet we've become. But meh, I gotta admit, it is a heck of a tool. Although, I do wonder though, if that many people indulges in cyber sex, when are the cyber sex toys going to come out. That 87% seem like a large market right there. Damn fourth year design project is making me look at everything as a business opportunity. Oh well...all I need now is something that can make 6 hours of sleep seem like 10. Or something to record my dreams. Night!

1 comment:

Jason Yu said...

I wonder what a serious relationship is like.